Warning symbol

Discussion of Argus 3 cameras
Get advice and repair hints from fellow owners and share project ideas for salvaged parts.
LEQFireBlue

Re: Warning symbol

Post by LEQFireBlue » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:46 am

I've tried to add some photos but its not letting me, coming up with several errors. :roll:

LEQFireBlue

Post by LEQFireBlue » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:29 pm

Ok-update

Ignore what I said previously. I stripped her down and got to the 2 metal leaves, there was a thin layer of clear liquid on between them and on the outside to the lens frame. I cleaned them as best I could and the warning symbol has gone and not yet reappeared. BUT....the image is now very blurry/cloudy, when I look at a hot source the image adjusts itself and the picture is very good and the briefly looking around the room the image is good for a few seconds but then readjusts again and is blurry/cloudy. Any ideas. I'm going to strip her again and try and clean her up a bit better and hoping this will do the trick.

Do the leaves need to be able to both sit in the little black sensors either side? I took it apart again and cleaned everything up with white spirit but still seems very cloudy/blurry.

Im bothe happy and annoyed that I managed to get rid of the warning symbol but now ive somehow messed the image up. :evil:

forum_admin
Site Admin

Post by forum_admin » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:16 am

Picture below (forum now fixed)

Blurry could simply be out of focus, and looking at a hot thing closes the iris and improved depth of field.

Did the front elements housing go back OK, did you move the screw in the side at all ?

The iris movement should run from one sensor 'gate' blocked (ie full open) through to the other one blocked (ie nearly shut). This is not a 'full obscure' iris. If you need I can take a lens apart and do some more photos

regards
Bill
Attachments
argus3core-2.jpg

LEQFireBlue

Post by LEQFireBlue » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:58 am

Hi Bill,

Success at last!!! :D :D :D I took her apart again to double check I did everything right and re-read everything in this post, which made more sense the more I stripped the TIC. Turns out the I put the leaves back the wrong way round, put them back, cleaned her all up and put her all back together and success!! No warning triangle and a picture that now looks better than it did before. Very happy.

Thank you for all your help, it is very much appreciated. I'm sure something else will go wrong at some point so I may have to pick your brains again.

Thanks again,

Alex

forum_admin
Site Admin

Post by forum_admin » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:09 am

Well done sir !

:D :D :D

regards
Bill

Reynoldsco

Post by Reynoldsco » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:41 pm

forum_admin wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:34 am
Hi Alex,

Have you got a computer lead with it to get the 'status report' out ? The software is on the Argus 3 page here if you do not have the CD, might need an older PC though. If you can get it then post it and I'll decode it for you.

Otherwise by far the most likely is the iris sticking. You can test this by showing the camera a hot object, like a home gas fire or cooker, does the image adjust ? You might also hear the gears going if they are OK.
The problem for users comes if you get a fire as it could overload the image just when you need it.

What happened over time was that the oil in the motor bearings would spread out, pick up a bit of dust and turn into a glue between the two iris leaves.

It is a bit of a strip down to get to it but still doable with hand tools, mostly hex drivers. The iris blades need to come out for a good clean with a degreaser like isopropyl alcohol. If the worst comes to the worst I can do an exchange lens for you.

The alternative fault of 'humidity' again needs opening up. If it really is humidity just let it dry out, bin or refresh the dry bag. A lot of cameras were put away wet into the sealed case and eventually water vapour got in even when the seals were OK. Long term wet will damage the electronics and optical coatings hence the dire warnings in the manual. This was especially the case when cameras were still in warranty - the expensive sensor was not under warranty for getting wet.

A final possibility (as in I've seen it before) is if the humidity sensor itself has failed making the camera think it is humid. It is the 3 pin part on the smaller PCB that connects everything.

regards
Bill
Hi there, I have a warning symbol on my Argus 3. It is ok in the house but, as soon as I put on an object at distance I can hear the gears adjusting and then anything that it picks up with heat causes the symbol to show and stays on. The heat sources all show up as bright red with no change in colour.

Reynoldsco

Post by Reynoldsco » Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:14 pm

Hi there, I have a warning symbol on my Argus 3. It is ok in the house but, as soon as I put on an object at distance I can hear the gears adjusting and then anything that it picks up with heat causes the symbol to show and stays on. The heat sources all show up as bright red with no change in colour. Can anyone help? Or know who can fix it for me? Thank you.

forum_admin
Site Admin

Post by forum_admin » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:34 am

This is classic symptoms for a slow / sticky iris. Over time the motor lubricant comes out and spreads across the leaves of the iris, combines with bits of dust and makes up a sort of glue.

It is a fairly easy fix as described above to get it apart and clean up between the iris leaves, no new parts needed.
IPA would be my choice of cleaner.

regards
Bill